It was so weird.
Then the diagnosis hit, and I read about kids with autism having sensitivity to milk and wheat. What?!?!? We took him immediately off of milk, and I noticed the following:
- He started eating a larger variety of other, healthier foods
- He stopped gazing off into space
- He stopped hitting Superboy (as much)
That was enough for me to commit to a GF/CF diet (gluten free/casein free).
We did bloodwork (IgG Food Sensitivity blood panel) and urine tests and confirmed that his allergy to dairy was off the charts. Basically, his body can’t digest the proteins in milk (casein) and as such, he had partial casein proteins stuck in his body, bouncing around, causing him to be “doped” up on milk. Thus, the gazing. He literally was getting an opiate effect from drinking milk.
Great. My first foray into learning that everything you’re doing as a parent of a child with autism should be the opposite. You feel good about giving your child milk? Nope! It’s poisoning his body and doping him out.
Not only did his bloodwork show he is allergic to casein, but also this entire list:
- soy cheese
I didn’t think some of these food items were that dangerous or necessary to avoid, until our DAN! practitioner Dr. Joseph Humpherys, NMD, PhD noticed Isaac’s red ears and dark circles under his eyes. I had noticed both of those symptoms, and wondered what was causing them. I had asked Dr. David Voss, DO, our first DAN! practitioner, but he didn’t know and didn’t offer to find out, thus prompting me to find a new practitioner.
So. . . here’s a sample of what Hamhock CAN eat, since I’m sure it seems like the poor kid must be starving from all of these allergies.
- Breakfast: organic cage-free scrambled eggs, nitrate-free no antibiotic turkey bacon, EnviroKidz cereal, nitrate-free no antibiotic sausage, Kinnikinnick pancakes/waffles, oranges
- Lunch: Kinnikinnick rice bread with Earth Balance organic whipped buttery spread, organic corn tacos (sometimes with meat), Tinkyada rice pasta with Earth Balance butter, no-antibiotic, nitrate-free beef hot dogs, gf pizza with butter and no-nitrate, no-antibiotic pepperoni, Beeler’s gf chicken nuggets, strawberries, peaches, nectarines, pears.
- Snack: organic corn tortilla chips, gf pretzels, gf/cf cupcakes, organic popcorn with Earth Balance butter, EnviroKidz snack bars, organic rice cakes, organic french fries, gf/cf chocolate syrup with organic rice milk, organic rice carob milk, organic gf/cf hot chocolate with organic sugar, Yummy Earth organic lollipops, Surf Sweets organic gummy bears & jelly beans, Vitamin Water.
- Dinner: no-antibiotic, grass-fed chicken, steak & pork chops, gf homemade chicken strips, organic rice (brown, white, aborro), mashed potatoes, homemade hash-browns, organic frozen peas & corn, organic broccoli and zucchini.
- Once in a while totally non-gfcf treats: Sprite or Barq’s soda, tacos at Bajio or Chipotle, lollipop from the bank, french fries from McDonald’s